Monday, July 28, 2008

Chavez return for A's hinges on throwing program

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland Athletics third baseman Eric Chavez has begun a throwing program that should determine whether the six-time Gold Glove winner can play again this season.

The 30-year-old Chavez is on the disabled list for the second time this year because of his troublesome right shoulder. He underwent surgeries on each shoulder as well as his back last year and is still feeling the effects, so much so that Chavez has hinted he might need to make a position change to get his career back on track.

Chavez made 25 throws from 60 feet Saturday, his second such throwing session.

"He's just starting a throwing program to eventually get back playing and build from there," Oakland athletic trainer Steve Sayles said. "We've just got to get a feel for how he's doing. The schedule has him throwing three days in a row and a day off, then increase the distance."

Chavez, who expects to know more about his future after he tests his shoulder over the coming week, also is hitting off a tee.

"The way my shoulder has been, I don't really see it getting better," Chavez said Friday. "At best, it's going to be maintained. The rest of this year and the beginning of next year will tell the story for the rest of my career. ... I don't want to exaggerate it or undersell it, but this is the worst predicament for a baseball player. I wish I was at peace."

Chavez was batting .247 with two home runs and 14 RBIs in only 23 games this season. That's after he was limited to 90 games last season and spent the final two months on the DL.

"There might be some big decisions to be made later," Chavez said. "I wish I could give you some answers that were definitive, but I don't even have the answers. I have yet to hear anything definitive from anybody that has made me able to sleep well."

Sayles isn't ready to guess when Chavez might be on the field again, though he said Chavez should progress more quickly in his hitting than on defense.

"I'd just like to wait and see what's going to happen," Sayles said. "I don't like to predict. Predictions get you in trouble."


City want Ronnie answers
Nats’ Zimmerman has small tear in left shoulder
Sore right shoulder lands A’s 3B Chavez on DL