Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Boston Red Sox's Dustin Pedroia hopes to be back next week

NEW YORK -- Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia is progressing and he's inching closer to returning to the lineup.


More On The Red Sox

Boston Red Soxs Dustin Pedroia hopes to be back next week

Gordon Edes and the rest of the ESPNBoston.com team have the Red Sox covered for you. Blog

He's been out since suffering a fractured left foot on June 25 in San Francisco and he's been overly eager to get back. Pedroia had another positive workout on Sunday and he was able to jog around the bases.

"I'm feeling better, so hopefully I wake up tomorrow and feel even better," he said. "Hopefully I'm taking the next step. Three days ago I thought I was out for the year, now I feel like I can play soon. Every day is getting better."

Pedroia will take Monday off before ramping it up Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. He's been running, but not at full speed, and will try it during his workouts in Toronto.

If he gets through that stretch with no setbacks, there's a real possibility he could return to the lineup when the club returns home from this road trip next week. Boston has an off day on Aug. 16 before starting a nine-game home stand.

"I wanna be back when we get home. That's my goal and hopefully it's possible," Pedroia said.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona said there is a possibility Pedroia will be sent on a rehab assignment. It's possible he could play in one rehab game for the PawSox that Monday at McCoy Stadium and be activated the following day.

"If he's ready to help us win, there are a lot of ways he can help us win," Francona said. "There will have to be some conversations with Theo, Pedey, myself and what's in his best interest. I'm not sure we know what that is yet. We'll do what we think is best for everybody."

Joe McDonald covers the Red Sox and Bruins for ESPNBoston.com.

Ingla announces Fab dreamKevin Youkilis to have season-ending thumb surgery on Friday