Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Alex Rodriguez misses New York Yankees team photo shoot

NEW YORK -- With visions of finally hitting home run No. 600 likely dancing in his head, Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez forgot about team photo day on Tuesday. While the rest of the Yankees were fully dressed for the team picture, Rodriguez was not present.

Rodriguez showed up to Yankee Stadium in time to participate in pregame stretching and batting practice.

Yankees blog

Alex Rodriguez misses New York Yankees team photo shoot

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

"I'm going to try and delay kangaroo court as much as possible," said Rodriguez, adding he thought his teammates will fine him a couple hundred bucks for his mistake. "I'm going to get crushed. The boys are going to get me good. I know one of the front office guys had to play Alex Rodriguez for a few minutes. I'm going to have to find that guy and shake his hand. That's kind of a tough situation.

"No excuses. Obviously on the way going out, after talking to you guys [the media Monday night] I didn't get a chance to look at the board so no excuses."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi was not upset at Rodriguez.

"Players aren't always the best at reading memos that are put on their chairs, I can tell you that," Girardi said prior to Tuesday's game with the Blue Jays.

Rodriguez has had plenty on his mind as he entered Tuesday, having gone 43 at-bats without hitting a home run since he nailed No. 599 of his career July 22. While Rodriguez has had trouble before when approaching milestones, this time Girardi feels Rodriguez is handling it better.

"He's more relaxed," Girardi said. "I think he is looser. I think he has matured, obviously. He has been through a lot of experiences in his life. Those are the big things to me. When you are dealing with what he is dealing with, he obviously wants to get beyond this as quick as he can, but I don't see him necessarily pressing."

Andrew Marchand covers baseball for ESPNNewYork.com. You can follow him on Twitter.

More from ESPNNewYork.com

New York Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez misses second straight gameForlan eyes Prem return