Saturday, May 30, 2009

Philadelphia Phillies' Brett Myers out indefinitely with injured hip

PHILADELPHIA -- Phillies pitcher Brett Myers says he wants to try to keep pitching despite his injured right hip and is seeking a second opinion. But he will have surgery right away if that's what he must do -- and hope he can make a late-season return.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said Myers had an MRI exam on Thursday that revealed fraying and possible tearing in the labrum of the hip joint.

Philadelphia Phillies Brett Myers out indefinitely with injured hip

Myers

Myers could miss his next start or land on the disabled list.

"I don't know what I am going to do," Myers said, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. "First I am going to get a second opinion. ... I am going to explore every option I need to keep pitching, but if he tells me, 'It's over, you need to have [surgery] now or you could cause damage,' I will have it. I have to. It's a no-brainer.

"If he tells me rehab and anti-inflammatory medicine will take care of it, I'll pitch through it."

Myers (4-3) left in the sixth inning of Philadelphia's 6-2 loss to the Florida Marlins on Wednesday after giving up five runs. He had allowed just six runs in 21 innings in three previous starts.

Myers said pitching through pain is nothing new for him.

"This has been bothering me as long I can remember," he said, according to the Inquirer. "I never knew what it was. It just became unpitchable this season."

Although Myers doesn't want to have the surgery now, he knows it's inevitable.

"I have to do it regardless. Surgery is required regardless of when I get it," Myers said, according to MLB.com. " ... But if that doctor tells me I have to have surgery now, then I'm going to do it. There's no point in even trying to [mess] with it and mess it up to where I can't walk when I'm 30."

If Myers is lost for a significant part of the season, Amaro said the Phillies first would look internally to take Myers' turn in the starting rotation, according to MLB.com. He said Carlos Carrasco, Kyle Kendrick, Andrew Carpenter and Antonio Bastardo would be the likely candidates.

If that doesn't work, the Phillies will look for a trade, Amaro said, according to MLB.com.

"That team that decides they want to be a seller? They're going to try to get the best deal they can possibly get. And if they know Brett Myers is not with us, they're going to try to get the best deal they possibly can," Amaro said, according to MLB.com. "But I'm sure there are other teams out there who are looking for the same thing. So we have to assess. And if there is a deal to be made we're going to have to assess whether it makes sense for us, not just short term, but long term as well."


Harry Kalas died from heart disease
Ruud nears training return
Oliver Perez of New York Mets gets another shot from manager Jerry Manuel
Surgery for Cazorla