Sunday, May 3, 2009

Oliver Perez of New York Mets gets another shot from manager Jerry Manuel

When the New York Mets re-signed Oliver Perez in the offseason to a deal with big numbers -- $36 million over three years -- they expected he would be providing the small ones -- as in, his ERA.

Instead, Perez finds himself facing the loss of his spot in the starting rotation and possible demotion.

Manager Jerry Manuel said on Monday that Perez, 1-2 with a 9.31 ERA and almost as many walks (15) as strikeouts (18) in four starts this season, will get one more shot. Perez's next start is scheduled for Saturday against the Philadelphia Phillies in Philadelphia.

Oliver Perez of New York Mets gets another shot from manager Jerry Manuel

Oliver Perez#46 SP
New York Mets

2009 STATS

GM4W1L2BB15K18ERA9.31

"I think it's important, him being one of my guys, that I give him every benefit of the doubt," Manuel said.

Perez's fortuitous timing in getting another chance is linked to the fact he has been good against the Phillies, with a 0.35 ERA in four starts last season, allowing just one run in 26 innings.

"I am looking at Philadelphia as a big outing for him. I'm hoping to find something," Manuel said.

But Manuel has indicated his patience is sorely tested, especially after Perez imploded Sunday against the Washington Nationals, giving up seven runs on nine hits and walking three in 4 1/3 innings in the Mets' eventual 8-1 loss.

"I'm really concerned about him at this point. I don't know what we do. I'm not going to come out and make a decision right now," Manuel said Sunday after the game. "I haven't seen stuff yet. I don't know what it is with Ollie. I'm going to sit down and talk with him and try to figure it out."

Perez has allowed 15 walks and 23 hits in 19 1/3 innings this season.

"I don't feel good," Perez said. "I haven't been doing my job, and I feel bad for that."


Howard Bryant: Jason Giambi back in his comfort zone with Oakland A’s
Kaka in Milan pledge
MRI of Brandon Webb of Arizona Diamondbacks shows discomfort is muscular