Monday, March 2, 2009

Minnesota Twins' Joe Nathan, Toronto Blue Jays' B.J. Ryan pull out of World Baseball Classic

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Team USA is minus two closers.

Joe Nathan of the Minnesota Twins and B.J. Ryan of the Toronto Blue Jays are skipping the World Baseball Classic, leaving the United States without a pair of first-rate relievers.

A three-time All-Star, Nathan bowed out Sunday after experiencing soreness in his pitching shoulder the previous five days.

"I think we backed off it early enough to where it won't be an issue," said Nathan, who aggravated the AC joint, which connects the collarbone and clavicle at the top of the shoulder.

Spring Training Blog

Minnesota Twins Joe Nathan, Toronto Blue Jays B.J. Ryan pull out of World Baseball Classic

Check our daily spring training blog with updates on everything our team of writers and analysts are seeing and hearing at the ballpark, plus news tidbits from around the baseball world. Blog

Nathan was replaced by Houston Astros reliever LaTroy Hawkins.

Ryan, a two-time All-Star, decided to stay in spring training with Toronto and tune up for the regular season.

"This was an especially tough decision because of the honor of playing for my country, but I feel it is [in] the best interest of Team USA and the Toronto Blue Jays organization to not participate," the left-hander said in a statement released by USA Baseball early Monday. "I do not see it as being fair to my USA teammates, my Blue Jay teammates or myself to try to compete when my mechanics and delivery are not where they need to be in order to perform at the highest level."

Nathan also called the decision a hard one.

"It's going to be difficult to watch it, for sure," Nathan said of the Classic. "At some time, I have a responsibility for the Twins. It was a decision everybody agreed upon. It was a tough decision to make."

With a deep bullpen, the U.S still has several experienced closers available, including Jonathan Broxton of the Los Angeles Dodgers and J.J. Putz of the New York Mets.

Outfielders Grady Sizemore and Brad Hawpe also have been removed from the U.S. squad since final rosters were announced last week. Picked as replacements were outfielder Shane Victorino, outfielder-first baseman Adam Dunn and right-hander Joel Hanrahan.

The 34-year-old Nathan was 1-2 with a 1.33 ERA and 39 saves last season. He has averaged 39.8 saves over the past five years.

Nathan said he felt fine after a bullpen session Sunday morning before the Twins played the Boston Red Sox in a Grapefruit League game. But he said he wanted to be extra cautious, and playing in the WBC wouldn't allow him to do so.

"That's the one advantage I have of being here," Nathan said. "If there's a day I can back off, I can. Being there wouldn't allow me to stay on the schedule I need. I think I'm on the right track now. If things go well, I can be in a game on Thursday."

After missing nearly all of 2007 with an arm injury that required surgery, Ryan saved 32 games last year and went 2-4 with a 2.95 ERA in 60 appearances.


Inter admit Aguero interest
Barca check on prospect
Jayson Stark: Jays holding on to Halladay … for now