Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dustin Pedroia has a strained left oblique and will be out of the lineup vs. Puerto Rico

Dustin Pedroia has a strained left oblique and will be out of the lineup vs. Puerto Rico

Pedroia

Team USA second baseman Dustin Pedroia has been scratched from Saturday's game in Miami with a strained left oblique.

He was scheduled to leave the stadium and head back to Fort Myers, where he will be examined by Red Sox team physicians on Sunday.

Mark DeRosa will replace him at second base for Saturday's game against Puerto Rico.

He said the injury isn't so serious that he might miss the start of the regular season, but he could be out of the WBC.

"Obviously, I'm upset," the second baseman said. "If it's really nothing, if it's a couple of days, then I'll definitely be back Sunday after I get checked out and continue playing. But it's up to the Red Sox."

Pedroia said he first noticed the injury while hitting during a workout Friday, and it worsened when he hit in the batting cage Saturday.

"I was hitting extra yesterday and I felt some soreness," Pedroia said Saturday afternoon. "Maybe I pushed too hard, too fast.

"Today there was a shooting pain and that's the sign to stop. I have to do what the doctors say. I don't like listening to them, but I will."