Sunday, August 24, 2008

Phils put Jenkins on DL with right hip flexor strain

PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies placed outfielder Geoff Jenkins on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a strained right hip flexor and purchased infielder Andy Tracy's contract from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Jenkins

Jenkins, who has never played in the postseason, injured his hip while beating out an infield single in the third inning Friday night against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Philadelphia is in a tight race with the New York Mets for the NL East title.

"Yeah, I'm concerned. It's frustrating for me because I came here to be part of a winner, and like anybody else you want to be part of that," Jenkins said. "So, there's frustration there, but I'll try to do my best. I know they want me to rest a little bit before we start being aggressive as far as rehab or anything."

The 34-year-old Jenkins is hitting .246 with nine homers and 29 RBIs in 108 games. He was signed by Philadelphia as a free agent in the offseason and has spent the year platooning with Jayson Werth in right field.

"I've always been an everyday guy. I take pride in going out with the guys every day and being on the field," Jenkins said. "It's tough. I've played in a lot of games. I think there's only one other guy who's played more games without going to the postseason. I want to get there bad. Hopefully, we can get this thing healthy."

Tracy, also 34, was batting .288 with 21 homers and 84 RBIs in 120 games with the IronPigs.


Eagles’ Samuel day-to-day with hamstring strain
Tigers place Sheffield on DL with oblique strain