Thursday, April 22, 2010

Boo birds? Trembley pops off about O's awful start

SEATTLE -- The message from Baltimore manager Dave Trembley on Wednesday was simple: He's done making alibis for players not getting the job done as the Orioles wallow with the worst record in baseball.

Boo birds? Trembley pops off about Os awful start

I'm not going to let things continue to slide and say it's OK. ... I'm tired of that.

”-- Orioles manager Dave Trembley

"I've been in a position where I'm a really nice fella and I'll cover. I'll get questions point blank and I feel like I'm a damn presidential press secretary sometimes instead of telling it what is it. I have to smooth it over," Trembley said. "I'm not smoothing it over anymore."

Trembley popped off Wednesday after holding a closed-door meeting. The Orioles dropped to 2-14 after the Seattle Mariners completed a three-game sweep of Baltimore on Wednesday night. It's the worst start for the franchise since setting a major league record dropping their first 21 games in 1988.

The problems are countless for the Orioles. They are last in the American League in runs scored and on-base percentage, 11th in ERA and 12th in batting average. The Orioles have scored just three runs with nine hits in their first two games in Seattle and are hitting .150 with runners in scoring position.

Injuries aren't helping, either. Second baseman Brian Roberts, outfielder Felix Pie and left-handed pitcher Michael Gonzalez are all on the disabled list. Miguel Tejada was out of the starting lineup for a fourth straight game with a sore hamstring on Wednesday night. Pie was transferred to the 60-day DL on Wednesday.

But Trembley's major issue appeared to be his players getting away from their basic skills, something he addressed in his team meeting. He referenced the advance meeting before the series in Seattle started and that the approach on Tuesday night was completely different from what was discussed.

"The whole thing has gone totally different from what we want. It hasn't been acceptable," Trembley said. "I'm very patient but I will tell you the truth. I didn't have anyone come up to me afterward and disagree with what I said."

Trembley took over as Orioles manager midway through the 2007 season and is 174-257 in his 2 1/2 seasons. While not addressing his future specifically, Trembley spoke with urgency that time is running short.

"I'm not going to let things continue to slide and say it's OK. ... I'm tired of that," Trembley said. "I want to see the guys succeed. I'd like to get them back on track so they can enjoy that. You're going to have to make some sacrifices and play some more as a team and do the things necessary in order for you to win. In order to do that you have to get your priorities straight. The priorities are the team."

Baltimore Orioles acquire St. Louis Cardinals’ Julio LugoRonaldo refutes ‘party’ claims