Tuesday, March 30, 2010

New York Mets' Jose Reyes goes 1 for 5 in first action of spring training

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- New York Mets shortstop Jose Reyes played in minor league game Tuesday, his first action since being sidelined with a thyroid problem.

New York Mets Jose Reyes goes 1 for 5 in first action of spring training

Reyes

Reyes, who returned to camp last Wednesday, went 1 for 5 with a double against the St. Louis Cardinals' Triple-A team and played three innings in the field. He took batting practice for the first time Monday.

"I felt like I was in a real game today," Reyes said. "They didn't want me to run the bases too much, but I played in a game today and hopefully tomorrow I can do a little more."

He was not supposed to run past first, but he did in his first at-bat after hitting a ball over the center fielder's head. Reyes jogged easily into second.

Reyes flew out once and grounded out three times, but perhaps the biggest test was a grounder down the first-base line that he ran hard to beat out.

"I ran a little faster on that one, so that's a good test for me," Reyes said. "That means my leg is good and there's nothing to worry about. I am going to get ready as soon as I can and keep working hard."

Reyes missed most of last season with a hamstring injury. A thyroid issue has kept him from playing in any spring games so far and his status for Opening Day is uncertain.

Primera Division round-upNew York Mets’ Jose Reyes cleared to resume baseball activities