Sunday, January 31, 2010

Prince Fielder of Milwaukee Brewers in no hurry to talk extension

MILWAUKEE -- On the field, nothing will change with Prince Fielder. He'll play first base, bat fourth and is still considered the key of the Milwaukee Brewers' offense.

Off the field, Fielder says there's nothing to worry about right now, either. He wants to stay in Milwaukee as long as he can and there's no urgency in negotiating for a new contract.

Prince Fielder of Milwaukee Brewers in no hurry to talk extension

Fielder

"I came up here and I love it here, so I want to stay here as long as possible," Fielder said Sunday at the Brewers' annual offseason fan event. "I'm here for two more years anyway, so I'm just trying to see what happens then and all the other stuff hopefully will work out."

Fielder hit .299 with 46 homers and tied for the major league lead with 141 RBIs last season. He has a year left on an $18.5 million, two-year deal signed last season and the Brewers still hold his rights through the 2011 season.

"The guy is a definite force now," Brewers manager Ken Macha said. "I think his contributions are greater than the numbers that he's put up."

After next season, Fielder could join a crowded class of free-agent first basemen that may include St. Louis' Albert Pujols, Philadelphia's Ryan Howard and San Diego's Adrian Gonzalez. Fielder said he hasn't done a lot of thinking about what's in the distant future, but realizes he'll be the youngest of that group who could be available.

"I've never been a free agent. I'm just thinking on things I've been told," the 25-year-old Fielder said on his priorities. "The money's great, but in the end, if you have money and you're not happy; say, if the team doesn't think they're going anywhere, you have to make sure everything is order when you sign that kind of long-term [contract]."

The slugger has had a busy offseason back home in Florida, moving into a new house in Windermere and taking his children to school daily. His home has a workout facility and a batting cage, and he said he started conditioning immediately after the season ended to keep his weight down.

"So I don't turn into an obese person, because I can," said Fielder, who weighed 268 pounds last season.

Fielder, who is represented by Scott Boras, says his only concern right now is playing out his first contract, even though he realizes he'll be asked about his plans more and more as he moves closer to free agency.

"In the end, it's my decision. But as my agent, he's going to make sure I have the most information possible about what's going to benefit me and my family first. That's what it's about first," Fielder said. "My family has to be happy and then we go from there."

General manager Doug Melvin said he won't discuss any negotiations because it can hinder the process, but the organization recognizes Fielder's value.

"I don't think there's any secrets to what kind of player he is. You just have to look at his numbers and his performance and how he's been here in the organization the entire time," Melvin said. "[He] grew up here, developed here, came on the scene quick."

Melvin said he had no specific time to discuss Fielder's future with Boras.

"It'll all be done behind closed doors at a certain time and a certain place and I don't even know where that place is and I don't know where that time is," he said. "There's really not a story to it from my standpoint."

In the meantime, Fielder will be right back where he's comfortable this season -- hitting cleanup for the Brewers, who scored the third-most runs in the NL last season. After making the postseason in 2008 and fading to 80-82 last season, Fielder has a simple goal for this year's club.

"My thing is just to get better," he said. "Worry about our division first, worry about our own stuff first. When your team is crisp, taking care of their business, then all that other stuff falls into place."

Jarosik completes Zaragoza moveBen Sheets agrees with Oakland Athletics for one season, $10 million