Sunday, August 9, 2009

Milwaukee Brewers' Prince Fielder acknowledges 'better ways of handling' being hit by Guillermo Mota pitch

Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder expressed subtle regret Friday over his actions earlier this week after being hit by a pitch in a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Milwaukee Brewers Prince Fielder acknowledges better ways of handling being hit by Guillermo Mota pitch

Fielder

Fielder had said he didn't "remember" his delayed reaction after reliever Guillermo Mota, a former teammate, hit him with two outs in the ninth inning of the 17-4 Dodgers win, presumably as payback for Chris Smith grazing Manny Ramirez with a pitch two innings earlier.

"I don't feel I overreacted [to being thrown at], but I feel like my actions probably weren't the best," Fielder said, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "I know there are better ways of handling it. I've learned from it."

Fielder and Mota were fined undisclosed amounts Thursday by Major League Baseball and won't face suspensions.

"If I had it to do over again, I would have acted differently," Fielder said Friday. "But it happened and it's over with and I'm ready to play baseball."

After the Tuesday night game, Fielder charged across a hallway toward the Dodgers' clubhouse but was restrained by teammates and security.

Prince, this year's All-Star home run derby champion, has been hit by eight pitches this season and 46 during his five-year major league career.

"I think he was just trying to come inside and it got away from him," Fielder said Wednesday. "He was trying to hit his spot. I wish he hit his spot, but it just missed. All that other stuff is out of my control."

Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder launches big blasts, wins Home Run DerbyZigic staying at Valencia