Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mets introduce Putz at team news conference

NEW YORK -- J.J. Putz was honest: He would like to be closing games next season rather than setting up someone else's saves.

Still, the big reliever insisted he's enthusiastic about his eighth-inning job with the New York Mets, who landed record-setting closer Francisco Rodriguez last week just before acquiring Putz.

Mets introduce Putz at team news conference

Putz

"It wasn't the ideal situation. I really loved closing. But I'm just going to take it an inning earlier, so it's not going to be that big of an adjustment," Putz said Thursday. "I'm fine with the role. Like I said, bottom line, I just want to win. I hadn't had a chance to really do that in Seattle. To come to a team that's built to win right now, I'll pitch in the sixth, seventh -- whatever it takes to get us a championship."

The Mets held a news conference to introduce Putz in their plush, empty clubhouse at new Citi Field, still under construction adjacent to Shea Stadium.

Before fielding questions, the 6-foot-5, 250-pound right-hander pulled on a blue cap and No. 40 jersey while posing for pictures with general manager Omar Minaya and chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon. Putz's face was posted on video boards at Citi Field with a sign that read: "Welcome J.J."

Few setup men receive such fanfare when joining a new team, but Putz is no average reliever. He saved 76 games for the Mariners from 2006-07, earning an All-Star berth and establishing himself as one of baseball's most dominant closers.

"It doesn't change the way I'm going to pitch or it doesn't change my job," he said. "My job is to get guys out in the eighth inning right now. Nobody's perfect. I know everything's a little heightened here, but I've never had a problem with dealing with failures -- just bounce back the next day."

Hampered by injuries this year as Seattle sank to 61-101, Putz knew he might be traded in the offseason by the Mariners' new front-office regime.

Due to earn $5.3 million, he was aware the Mets were interested in him as a replacement for injured All-Star Billy Wagner. But when they agreed to a $37 million, three-year contract with Rodriguez at the winter meetings, Putz was sure he'd wind up elsewhere.

Hours later, New York completed a three-team, 12-player deal that included the Cleveland Indians. The Mets traded seven players in all -- six to Seattle -- for Putz, center fielder Jeremy Reed and reliever Sean Green.

"When they signed Frankie, I was like, well, New York's done. I'm not going there," Putz said. "And then you hear a lot of talk about Cleveland and Detroit. Growing up in Detroit, I had all my buddies from home calling me. I mean, it happened so fast. I thought for sure I was going to be a Detroit Tiger, and then got the phone call -- going to the Mets. And I was like, well, that's weird."

Immediately, the 31-year-old Putz knew he'd have to adjust to a less glamorous role.

"You don't sign Frankie Rodriguez to a three-year deal and then bring in another closer to close. And you know, that's fine," Putz said. "I'm excited to just be a part of this bullpen."

Before taking over as closer, he was a setup man in Seattle for Eddie Guardado, who taught Putz his nasty splitter.

He's not bothered by playing second fiddle to K-Rod, either.

"I'm just glad I don't have to watch him on the other side anymore because he killed us," Putz said. "It's going to be great. He's a lot of fun to watch, I'll tell you that. He's been as dominant as anybody in this game the last few years. He's not a bad guy to have to set up, I guess."

After the trade, third baseman David Wright and catcher Brian Schneider soon called Putz to welcome him to the Mets, who have overhauled their relief corps after blowing 29 of 72 save chances last season. Their 4.25 bullpen ERA ranked 13th in the NL, a big reason New York missed the playoffs again following its second consecutive September collapse.

"I know what's happened here the last couple years has been disappointing," Putz said. "Hopefully, having Frankie and myself here can change that. I'm looking forward to it. I think it's going to be a blast to be able to come here and be contending for the championship."

Putz made the AL All-Star team in 2007, when he was 6-1 with 40 saves and a 1.38 ERA. He went 6-5 with a 3.88 ERA and 15 saves in 23 chances this year, missing long stretches with ribcage and elbow injuries. But he said he's been working out since November and throwing for a couple of weeks.

"Everything feels great," Putz said. "I'm ready to go."

About an hour after Putz finished his interviews, the Yankees held a news conference across town to introduce two big acquisitions: CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett.

One city, three pitchers, six initials.

Of course, it's Putz's last name that could provide easy fodder for headline writers at the New York tabloids if he struggles. But he's not worried about that.

"I've been dealing with this for years," he said. "I can handle it."

Probably took some heat in high school, though, right?

"Dude, I was bigger than everybody in high school," Putz said.


Canizares: Tottenham Didn’t Understand Juande Ramos
Mets get reliever Putz in 3-team, 12-player deal
Swindled Mets say operations, payroll are intact