Sunday, May 18, 2008

Rangers' Blalock to move to first base once off DL

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Hank Blalock will move to first base for the Texas Rangers when he returns from the disabled list.

Rangers' Blalock to move to first base once off DL

Blalock

Blalock, a third baseman who has been out since April 26 with a torn left hamstring, volunteered to make the switch Friday and the move was announced before Sunday's game against Houston.

"It's his decision," Texas manager Ron Washington said. "He said he had looked at the team and thought he could help the squad more at first. This is Hank just being a very intelligent baseball man,"

Blalock has played 686 career games at third base and none at first. Washington was giving Blalock some pointers during infield practice Sunday.

The Rangers are sending Blalock to extended spring training in Arizona on Monday. Washington said Blalock will probably stay in Arizona until he comes off the disabled list -- which may be as early as Friday.

"It's a new position for me and I'm not sure how I'll do," Blalock said. "I wouldn't have initiated it if it wasn't something I was excited about."

Texas signed Ben Broussard in the offseason to play first. The Rangers placed Broussard on waivers Friday after he hit .159 in 26 games.

Chris Shelton and Frank Catalanotto have shared first for most of May, and Ramon Vazquez is hitting .338 with two home runs and seven RBIs as Blalock's main replacement at third.

"It's a change in my profession," said Blalock, who is hitting .299 with three home runs and seven RBIs. "I look at it as a challenge. If I can do a good job, it can help the team. I don't know how long it will take to be comfortable there. It makes me feel good that I can completely commit to that position."


Rangers place Millwood on 15-day disabled list
Despite injury, Chipper hopeful to play Monday